The holidays are here!
The below are simple suggestions, yet taking time in the present could help you avoid losing your presents later!
- Always lock up your home and automobiles, even if only stepping away for a few moments.
- With home and autos, keep valuables out of sight. Put items in trunk before your next destination so thieves don’t see you placing them there.
- Keep holiday gifts and other valuables out of sight from the outside of your home.
- Have an extra set of keys with a trusted friend or neighbor; never have a key under a mat or other ‘secret’ hiding place as they are not so secret to thieves.
- Keep entryways, pathways, stairwells, porches and yards well lit.
- Make sure the locks on all windows and doors are in perfect working order.
- Keep important paperwork in a safety deposit box.
- If you will be away, make sure your home has ‘lived-in’ look: ask neighbor to mow lawn; temporarily stop deliveries; use timers and home automation devices.
- Be a good neighbor to others: Contact the police if you notice suspicious activity.